From:
Wendy Stevens <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Wendy Stevens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Sep 1995 08:51:08 -0500
In message  <[log in to unmask]> Discussion of Bee
Biology writes:
> Hi all -
>
>    An update on my allergy situation -  I went to the allergist yesterday.  I
> tested positive for honey bee venom - skin prick test.  I also tested
> positive for yellow jacket and yellow hornet venom.
>
>    My blood test indicated a  response of 4500 for IGE antibodies.  (Normal
> is 50.) The allergist told me that this indicates that my body realizes that
> I am allergic to bee venom.  I had to get another blood test today for IGG
> antibodies.  I think these are the antibodies that counteract the venom?  If
> these are high enough, they will "cancel out" the IGE antibodies.
>
>    The allergist said I was not a candidate for allergy shots.  I am only
> experiencing large local reactions.  However, there is some uncertainty since
> I come in contact with bees much more often than the allergic non-beekeeper
> would.  I have one more visit after I receive the second set of blood test
> results.
>
>    If anyone understands the two kinds of antibodies and can explain it a bit
> more to me, I'd certainly appreciate it.  Thanks.
>
> Laura Downey

Here's how this antibody business works.  When you are stung for the first time,
your body recognizes the venom as a foreign protein.  It activates white blood
cells called B lymphocytes.  The B lymphocytes turn into plasma cells that
produce an antibody called immunoglobulin E (IgE) to counteract the antigen or
foreign bee venom protein.  These antibodies also get hooked onto another cell,
a mast cell, that's found in your connective tissues.

When you're stung a second time, the new inflow of bee venom protein attaches to
the antibodies (IgE) on the mast cell surface and causes degranulation of the
mast cells.  Mast cells release substances like histamine which cause swelling
and itchiness if the reaction is localized (ie only mast cells in the immediate
area exposed to vemon are affected). The reaction can also go systemic in some
people meaning that you get an entire body reaction including a runny nose and
cough, edema, loss of blood pressure, and constriction of smooth muscle in your
lungs causing the air passageways to close down.

Meanwhile your body is also producing another antibody called IgG.  IgG blocks
the degranulation effect caused by bee venom coming in contact with IgE on the
mast cells.  However, for persons who are stung infrequently, the level of IgG
is not sufficient to overcome the mast cell degranulation and release of
histamine.

Enter antivenom therapy.  By giving small doses of bee venom on a weekly basis,
the body gradually builds up its level of IgG.  Effective immunotherapy is
associated with at least a 2 times increase in serum levels of IgG specific to
bee venom. Once you're up to this level, a maintenance bee sting every 6 weeks
will keep your body producing enough IgG to protect you.

I hope this helps explain what's going on.

Wendy Stevens