From:
Doug Ladd <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Nov 2011 17:13:50 -0500
I was talking to a friend who lives a few states north of me (i live in
central Va USA) and the topic of winter protien came up.

I have seen two recipes (one from dadant and the other from a western
kentucky commercial beek) both of which contain small amounts of protien,
dadant says 3% protien from mega bee...

The question I pose is the protien in these sugar patties going to cause
gut and digestive issues while in cluster over winter?

My friend states farther north, hence longer spans between cleansing
flights it might be a problem.

Any research or experience on this?

I completly understand the need for protien during brood rearing when it
starts as I currently feed pollen sub patties starting in feb in my area...
But im not sure about the protien during dec and jan etc...

Thanks for your time and I continue to enjoy and learn from the many
discussions on bee-l. Keep'em coming...

Doug Ladd
Buffalo Bee Farm
Buckingham, Va, USA