Date:
Sun, 3 Apr 2011 07:42:34 -0400
Please note the new subject and subject line and feel free to change the
subject line when you change the subject.
---

>> Has anybody calculated how long in advance of swarming bees take an
>> interest in a bait hive and add it to their list of possible new homes?

> Lindauer has observed that house hunting bees are former foragers.
> So perhaps 1 to 2 weeks prior to swarming, foragers would
> be aware of many available voids.

I concur, and my experience has been that bait hives placed only
a week or less ahead of swarming sledom catch swarms.  If they
do, IMO they probably do so more because they find a convenient
resting place for the newly issued swarm than by design.

My rule of thumb is to set bait hives out at least three weeks before
expected swarming.  Stacks of surplus equipment stored in yards
often attract bees if they have an entrance that bees can use and
that may well be due to the fact that they smell right, have comb,
and have been there a long while.  If the bees have recently robbed
those combs, that seems to further improve the odds.

If bait boxes attract interest, it can be so intense that enough bees
arrive to inspect the box(es) to make one wonder if a small swarm
has already arrived and taken possession.

Next question: does having attractive bait hives nearby cause bees
to swarm more than they would if not so tempted, or do they simply
make it more obvious to use that a swarm has issued?

BTW, sometimes a swarm will land on and move into a hive which is
already occupied by an apparently normal colony.  What's with that???