From:
Tim Arheit <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Jul 2012 16:59:00 -0400
>Before the 30 day I sent it back for a refund. I let them know ahead and I send a copy of the receipt. They told me that I used the wrong wood and did not follow the procedures and refused to refund. Now  They won't send me the smoker back even though I have said I will pay for return shipping. Anyone else have a problem with them?

Their video shows ordinary pine wood shavings and the manual says wood
shavings or pellets, so your pine wood shavings are specifically
specified in the manual.   I would definitely expect it to run though
them very quickly because you don't pack them and shavings burn quickly
anyways.   Wood pellets are significantly more dense and should burn
longer however  (they tend to run $5 a 40lb bag at home improvement
stores).   I would expect certain fuels to have trouble starting in
their smoker, but once started it's an ordinary smoker with a fan
instead of a bellows.

Hard to believe they won't accept a return when the advertize their 30
day guarentee without any legalese anywhere in their ad or website.   To
quote their owners manual:

"If you are not completely satisfied with the performance of your
Bee-Z-Smoker, for any reason, you can return it within 30 days from the
date of purchase with a receipt for a full refund – no questions asked.
You will need to pay for shipping back to Stinger Innovations, Inc. and
the product will be evaluated before full credit can be issued. Damages
incurred during shipping back to Stinger Innovations will be the
responsibility of the customer."

'No questions asked' and  'any reason' to me means that unless you trash
the product you get the money back.  It says nothing about procedures,
fuel used, or anything else including how it operates or if you just
changed your mind.   The claim that you used the wrong wood shavings is
a poor excuse because their manual says wood shavings without specifying
type of wood, size of shavings, moisture content or any other specifics.
   If they won't stand by the 30 day guarantee, I'd worry about the 1
year warranty, etc.   Not good publicity in my opinion.   I'd file a
complain with the BBB and see where it goes.

On the other hand, I'm not sure why you thought it may help with
breathing problems though, it is still a smoker and produces ordinary
smoke (just more on demand than manual smokers).   It still will get
hot, blow embers (a concern with the drought right now), and produce smoke.

Burning different fuels may help help if you are more sensitive  to
certain smokes.   Also consider liquid smoke in a sprayer, or possibly
switching to a gentler breed of bees that need less (or no) smoke and
working habits.
There is also a propane powered smoker that uses a vaporized liquid
smoke.  I think it may be even more expensive but  you may react to the
smoke/vapor differently.   I'd try to find someone who has one though to
try it first.

-Tim