From:
Peter Loring Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Oct 2009 12:54:22 -0400
Greetings

I was hoping to have a discussion about ApiLife Var

It's been around for a long time and yet it doesn't seem to have a
wide following. My friend Tom Seeley uses it so I decided to give it a
try. I know all about the other stuff, believe me. I *chose* this
ApiLife Var because it is A) legal and B) it's not Checkmite or
Apistan which I don't use and don't recommend.

I know it would work better in August or early Sept but that's when
our main honey flow is. I put it in towards the end of Sept but mites
were already way too high, as usual. One summer split had PMS already.
I tried treating it anyway to at least kill off what mites were in
there, but as they say on the instructions it can cause robbing, which
it did, and that hive is dead now.

I am using feral bees, but I have little hope for that approach in a
non-isolated area.

--
Peter Loring Borst
Ithaca, NY  USA