From:
Bob Darrell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Aug 2010 17:52:55 -0400
On 4-Aug-10, at 1:16 PM, [log in to unmask] wrote:

> Thanks,  Bob.  I have a few additional questions.
>

> Do you overwinter in singles or doubles?

Normally singles but some doubles( I don't change things around after
mid August so if a hive is a double now it will likely be packed that
way)

> Do you feed pollen/syrup or is the build-up natural?  Do you super
> at this time?

I feed syrup and pollen subst patties starting in March or late
February depending on the weather.  Supers don't normally go on until
June or later

> Do you get good drones in your area this early?  Are you satisfied
> with your early queens?

This year all my hives had lots of drones in April as March and April
were sunny and mild.  2 of the 3 walk away splits took while the
third was combined with one of the others
>>> .
>
> Would these be swarm cells?

No, I purchased them from a local queen breeder

> When you reduce from 3 deeps down to 1 or 2, do you then use queen
> excluders or not?

When honey supers go on so do the queen excluders

> Did some of the 43 supers come off of the splits, too?

No, while the nucs and splits have supers on, none were ready to
extract.  All 43 were on the 7 original hives

> So your extracted supers averaged about 27 lbs each.  Assuming the
> other supers have about the same, you'll yield some 1,200 lbs of
> honey.  That's very good.  Is this all from a stationary apiary or
> do you move your hives?

All of my hives are at home and stay there.  The supers left on will
not all be ready to extract now but will be finished with early
goldenrod.  The 1200 lbs doesn't include autumn honey which I extract
and is usually slightly less than the summer crop

> How much swarming drive do you see with your singles?  I assume you
> use queen excluders.

No swarming this year although last year one hive(double) swarmed 3
times that I saw(the last time in mid September during a heavy
goldenrod flow).  It didn't survive the winter

Bob Darrell
Caledon Ontario
Canada
44N80W