Date:
Sat, 2 Oct 2010 09:38:43 -0600
> Allen, it begs the question, has any bad sucrose ever killed a bunch of
> colonies?

I have never heard of it in Canada, or the US for that matter.

Home-mixed syrup and heated syrup is a different question, as is syrup to
which various things are added like acids, flavours, bleach, etc.  I know of
no harm being caused by the black mould which is common in sugar syrup tanks
although it looks bad.  Slight fermentation also appears to be harmless,
although all the preceding are undesirable for aesthetic reasons and
prudence.

Using heat on metal tanks, though, particularly iron tanks, or heat
exchangers can cause damage to syrup by carmelization, creation of HMF or,
apparently unknown catalytic chemical changes if impurities and/or additives
are present.