From:
Grant Gillard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 May 2011 08:25:50 -0700
I started a really crude, simplistic method to suit my needs.  I started with the queens I wanted to raise daughters from and gave them a random number, usually reflecting the hive they were in.  The daughters from this line were designated by the number of that queen and the letter "A".
As an example, my randomly numbered queen #42 produced daughters 42A.  As I choose the best queens from those daughters and raise queens from them, they become 42AB, if I raise daughters from them they become 42ABC.
I don't have the time or the inclination to computerize this system.  I keep a series of spiral notebooks for each yard.  Each hive has a numbered ear tag for sheep and goats that is affixed with a 1-1/8"dry wall screw.
My tracking system follows the lineage.  Since my queens are open mated and we seem to have a healthy feral drone population, it is open to a wide variety of characteristics.
I also trap a lot of feral swarms to select new queens from.  I've pretty much given up on bringing in purchased, mated queens from other areas.  I'm turning my focus to locally adapted stock, largely from feral genetics.  I also want queens that seem to benefit from my low treatment regime and my own incompentencies.

It works for me,
GrantJackson, MO