From:
Charles Linder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Mar 2016 08:50:07 -0500
'a serious free market' guy is an oxymoron to any even marginally educated (which by the way does include myself) economist.  I see Charles makes no case for why this thinking is wrong.

Not even close,  As a great teacher one told me, those who try to parse words are trying to make themselves seem smarter than they are.  The meaning is clear,  I stand  on the side of free markets  more than most,  and a great economics education  means nothing that would change that.

In this case they are in fact false advertising.  They are claiming foreign content as Canadian,  while legal in CA,  its not right. A governmental interference into honesty is not effecting the free market concept,  in fact it helps ensure it.  In this case they should not be allowed to claim its Canadian.  I would not make any comments to the effect of banning it,  or limiting it,  but to just ensure the label is honest and let the consumers choose.  That is the essence of free markets.  In this case the government is actually interfereing  by allowing it to be sold under false pretenses.  By doing so they are giving an edge to the forign honey.  Obviously Mcormicks knows the customers want Candian honey,  but government interference is messing up the free market.

We can play games with words all day,  but the clear answer is short and sweet.  The rules are wrong.   US advertising rules are no better.  Lots of lies and misconceptions......  Fresh does not mean a dam thing on a label.  Never frozen is idiotic.

But we continue,  and wonder why people are stupid.

Charles