From:
Stan Sandler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 May 2008 03:22:42 -0400
>"Evidence that Colony Collapse Disorder Is a Disease
>Expert: Pesticide Poisoning Wouldn't Roll Through Colonies This Way"

I went to the Bayer website, and noticed that they no longer claim on the
Premise label that the imidacloprid kills termites by the "Premise plus
nature" *trademarked* effect by encouraging diseases.  However they do still
have the following quote on their website (now the "Domino" trademarked effect):

"Premise kills termites on contact but also has the added advantage of the
transfer of toxicant to termites that have not been exposed to the Premise
Treated Zone. As a result of normal social behaviour termites groom and feed
each other and by this interaction termites transfer Premise amongst other
termites from within the colony - this is referred to as the Domino Effect ™
. Premise Termite Elimination is also assisted by nature. In areas of lower
concentration of Premise, termites coming in contact with Premise eventually
stop grooming and feeding themselves and die of fungal infection from soil."

So, the colonies die of fungus.  It looks like a fungus, kills like a fungus...

For a really interesting look at how imidacloprid get transferred around in
a colony of social insects that practise trophyllaxis just as honeybees do,
I would suggest a look at this url, also linked to Bayer's Premise site:
http://www.premiseguarantee.com.au/information/documents/Colony_Transfer.pdf
Stan