From:
Michael Palmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Oct 2006 07:28:29 -0400
>  Michael Palmer:
>And what about years when the weather dictates the food
>stores within the hive?
>Reply:
>  ... as we were technically in
>our 7th year of drought this year

>In June and July rounds to the bees we continued to give
>any honey surplus in strong hives to weaker ones
    But the bloom with rains
>starting first part of July came starting by end of month

>Our bees have had to refill completely the unlimited
>broodnest they keep practically from scratch during August
>and September.

>But when we looked at our bees the middle of September they
>had stores

I know there are extended quotes here, but...

That is good, and your bees are lucky. The weather changed, and the bees
were able to restock their hives. That is the point of acclimatized bees.
They work with the weather/flows that they have. My point is...what if the
rains hadn't come. What if the bees weren't able to gather enough to feed
themselves. Once all the honey you have on hand is used up, then what?
Allowing 2 or 3 weaklings to die, in each yard is one thing. Would you
allow the entire yard to die? Would you allow your entire operation to die?
What would be the point?

I don't believe in taking all the bees hard earned honey, and replacing it
with sugar. But, colonies that are too light to winter get what is needed.
These colonies that need feed at the end of the season are still a valuable
resource. They provide bees and brood for the next seasons' splits. Their
genes are removed from the pool, but the colonies still have a place in my
apiary. Come next June, these colonies of inferior stocks are split into 4
frame nucs. After building up for a month, they are further divided into 4
frame nucs, and given queens, raised from my best stocks. From that one
colony, I can raise 8 - 12 nucs that are overwintered. The following year
these colonies often go on to make the colony average...all because I was
willing to feed each a few gallons of syrup to keep them alive during the
extended winter.

Tell me...you all who claim to never feed sugar...as if it were some
immoral venture...how is that plan a bad thing? How does feeding sugar to
these colonies effect my long term breeding program? If I let them die, as
you all suggest, where will I get the bees and brood for my splits next
summer? Should I split up my best colonies? I think not. These are my honey
producers. I believe the goal of the beekeeper should be to maintain their
colonies in top condition and strength as possible. That is surely the key
to a successful apiary. By feeding a bit of sugar to the inferior stocks, I
can maintain my bee/brood resource for next years' splits, and my best
colonies for honey production.
Mike