From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Dec 2003 08:41:21 -0600
Hello Peter & All,
Peter said:
But, unlike most other branches of agriculture, we have effectively lost our
main weapons against V.d.
We find ourselves in a position where the only materials or techniques  left
to our disposal, are those that were previously considered second rate (for
a multitude of factors).

In the U.S we made the same mistake as Europe as far as chemicals go. We
used one type without rotating until the strip (fluvalinate) was useless.
Then we switched to checkmite and did the same thing.

We knew which *hard* chemicals  were available for varroa control in the
80's . No new were ever added to the list.
If the beekeepers of the world had been on top of the situation chemicals
might have lasted another 20 years.

Chemical strips are valuable in my opinion to use  to check IPM treatments.
The are also useful to remove varroa from a hive  if your * soft treatment
*treatment  fails.

Commercial beekeepers are spoiled by strips. Some will make the adjustment
to lesser controls and some will go out of business.

Peter said:
Before resistance etc. occurs in other crop and animal production
systems, research has in place the next generation of "helpful" products.

We have got the next generation in place (U.S.)but they are not  what the
larger beekeeper wanted. The larger beekeeper asked the USDA for a varroa
control which was systemic.

Peter said:
Beekeepers on the other hand are left attempting to read the minds of
regulating authorities and how they may react to the application of oxalic
acid and the like.

The regulating  authorities have been easy to deal with thus far in the
U.S.. They have given us most of what we wanted.

A few beekeepers (using illegal treatments) and a few packers (importing
contaminated honey) have caused problems for an entire U.S. beekeeping
industry.

Peter asks:
Take away "the strips" now, and how many people will stop working with bees.

Only the best beekeepers as far as the larger beekeepers are still in
business. Cost of production will go up without the strips and perhaps
larger beekeepers will have to run less hives to be successful. Changes will
need to be made.

Hobby beekeepers will continue to do as many now do. Simply order another
package the next spring to replace a dead hive.

Peter asks:
The initials IPM are no doubt familiar to many - but how many are able to
put into place an effective program and maintain medium term?

 Using IPM has saved me a huge amount of money over the years. To me walking
out of a bee supply house with an armfull of meds without even knowing the
problems are in your hive is dumb.

Peter said:
Our IPM techniques are not that basic I suppose, but they do not apply well
to commercial circumstances either.

Whats not basic about testing and treat as needed. Use soft methods first
and hard methods as a last resort!

A very thought provoking post Peter!

Sincerely,
Bob Harrison