From:
allen dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Apr 2003 11:46:30 -0600
> Why offer up general straw-man arguments and positions, and
> then argue with them?  Why not address statements actually
> made or specific practices in context?  This might lead to
> a productive and informative discussion.

Oddly enough, I find myself agreeing totally with Jim on almost every
point.  I do appreciate all the other contributions on this topic
though, even those which verge on pontification.

Purity of honey is an important subject, and illuminating all the points
of view is fascinating.

Sugar -- contrary to what some might suggest -- is not a poison.  It is
a food that is widely accepted and ubiquitous in our diet.  As a
contaminant in honey, sugar at low levels is mostly of economic
significance as far as most of the population is concerned.  Moreover it
is a matter of honesty and truth in labelling.

And, oddly, what has not yet come up in this discussion, is the question
of
people who may have sensitivities to minuscule amounts of common
subtances.  I have heard there are some individuals who are affected by
table sugar in any amount, possibly due to the passing of sugar liquor
over bone char that is apparently part of some forms of manufacture.
Does anyone know more about this?

> Woodenware cannot really "do" anything itself. The beekeeper does
> things.  The bees do things. The woodenware just sits there.
> Advocates of one type of hive or another make me laugh, as bees
> will adapt to anything you toss them into.  I think Allen Dick had
> (perhaps still has?) a old toolbox that contained a thriving colony
> for several seasons.

It just happens that we were looking at it last night and there is a
picture on today's diary page along with a good shot of Joe's haircut.

http://www.honeybeeworld.com/diary/
Today's special: The Allen Dick horizontal hive.  Superior performance
at a low, low price.  Get yours today.