From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Jul 2002 09:35:43 -0400
Barbara Remnant wrote:

> James Ficcher wrote "Vegans can be strange people.  They are mostly
> emaciated unhealthy-looking folks who seem to have
> constant colds,"

> snip...not eat anything unless it give it self willingly from the earth. ie:
> drops from a tree, must not be plucked; cannot be dug like potatoes, but
> like onions must push up and let go. However they are not likely to be
> around long!
>
> Barb

Recently anthropologist archeologists reported that mankind suffered a
dramatic drop in health when it shifted from a mostly meat diet and
became agrarian and ate veggies. There was bone loss, bad teeth and
early death. So there is truth in what both Jim and Barb wrote.

The whole area of nutrition and healthful foods is constantly in flux.
It appears to be a very inexact science, mainly because of the
variability of the human diet and individual lifestyles. Vegetarian
diets are touted as healthful, but recent discoveries seem to indicate
otherwise. Often, when scientists dig deeper, it is the lifestyle
differences that can make most of the difference ( usually exercise and
moderation ). In some recent findings it appears that the most healthful
diet is high protein and drinking milk, both of which were on the bad
diet list. A low fat diet has been shown to be as unhealthy as a high
fat. Reminds me of the movie "Sleeper" with Woody Allen who is awoken
from freezing in the distant future. They tell him in order to get back
to good health quickly they need to feed him the most perfect, healthful
meal known to man, a Big Mac, fries and milkshake.

It would be interesting to see where honey, being stung, and the
lifestyle of beekeepers fit into the the anecdotal evidence that
beekeepers live longer than the general populace. Maybe it is none of
the above but because we eat Big Macs, fries...

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Me