Date:
Tue, 10 May 2011 01:28:21 -0400
On Sun, 8 May 2011 11:22:40 -0700, Bill Ruzicka wrote:

>IF you want to know how to do it see:
>http://www.mitegone.com/testandmaterials.asp
>YOU MAY also found there how we got to ZERO mites. In tests 2006-2010.

I just spent some time at Bill's site and found it quite interesting.  I have
been aware of the missionary work he has been doing for formic for years, but
never used his method due to my different way of managing and also because,
plain and simple, I did not understand some simple details like what the pads
are made of, how much acid each holds, and what the cost is after the acid is
included.  After a while there tonight, I still have not got an answer.  Whatever
the cost,though, it is probably less than the cost of losing bees.  Anyhow, I
have looked at the system multiple times over the years  and always gone
away confused.  I hope to change that now.

There is a lot os information on almost every aspect of formic on Bill's site,
including some insight on MiteAway II which matches the reports from some
disappointed users of that now-defunct product.

What I have never understood when trying to understand Mitegone:
is how much formic is used and the cost.  being lazy, I never took the
time to try to puzzle it all out, but I'm doing it now.

http://www.mitegone.com/pdfpages/Canada%20Pricing%20and%20Associate%20Program.pdf says:

5” PADS in READY TO FILL AND USE KITS:
These pads are open at both ends, so they cannot be installed wrong
and all you do is: pour 65% acid in it see
http://www.mitegone.com/pdfpages/Pre%20filling%20Pads%20Dry%20Kits%20.pdf

DK-156   1 kit       $ 154.00
BUNDLE of 16      $ 1’972.00

For commercial beekeepers. Kit contains 162 5” pads. Treats 60- 80
colonies in fall: reuse--refill in spring. Require 16 l/40 lbs. of acid.

That is about as clear as mud, but I'll guess that each fill takes 16 litres
of 65% acid.  At first I thought it said 16 1/40 litres and said, "WTF?'

Maybe the two fills take a total of 16 litres?  Dunno.  I go with the first
guess and figure that that 162 pads soak up 16 litres each time. That
amounts to 100 ml each (approx.) for somewhere from 200 to 270 ml
per colony per treatment -- if I understand.

The pads (empty) are from $0.76 to  a $0.95 apiece, it seems, and it
comes to somewhere between $1.50 and $2.50 per hive (CAD).

What does 16 litres of formic cost?  I haven't bought any for a decade
or so, but 190 litres of 85% acid in a drum was $567 at the time.
That would be about 2.98/litre or $2.28 diluted.  The spreadsheet for
Dri-loc 50's is somewhere on my website, BTW.

Let's see what the current prices are on offer: In small lots, at
http://www.beemaidbeestore.com/product.php?txtCatID=0&txtProdID=170
Beemaid offers 20 litres of 65% for $155.  That comes to $7.75 per litre
and could be expected to be pricier in a small container, pre-diluted.
Interestingly, the 4 litre jug is slightly cheaper per litre.

I imagine the acid is from Medivet. See
http://www.medivetpharmaceuticals.ca/formicacid.htm

So, taking that current price, and figuring 200 ml/colony per treatment,
we get $1.50 and using 270 ml, we get $2.03 per colony, plus the pads
(possibly re-usable several time) at $1.50 to $2.50 per hive, for a total
of as low as about $2 up to $4.50 per treatment.

If the drums of concentrate are still around the same price, and I was
told they are, the cost is much less for large users.

Maybe Bill will straighten me out if I miscalculated, but that is my best
guess from the info I can piece together.

Now I just have to finish watching Bill's movie.

Maybe tomorrow.