From:
Pete Gentile <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Sep 1995 20:44:05 -0400
On Sun, 17 Sep 1995, Derk Phelps wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Is it correct and safe to overwinter colonies with the same apistan strips
> that I pulled before the honey flow?  I am now installing them in colonies
> after I pull the honey.  We have about 500 hives so I am concerned.  I am
> concerned about mite resistance to the strips, thus cutting my own throat.
>  Also, is there any interaction with the powdered sugar terramyacin mix and
> the apistan.  We treat with terra mix outside of the honey production season
> also.

No, it is not appropriate to reuse Apistan strips.  The reduced amount of
miticide will contribute toward the genetic development of Apistan
resistant mites.  Those mites that survive the lower dose will go on to
reproduce resistant offspring.

Pete, NJ

The Paranormal Pub       |
Newsletter               | A Thing is impossible until it is not!
PO Box 313               |
Tuckerton, NJ 08087      |
USA                      |

"Science is not all known and logic is nebulous."