From:
Arthur English <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Apr 2011 15:25:48 -0700
       I didn't mean to imply that my little draft agreement was a "one size fits all" solution.  It wasn't conceived or written with the needs of you commercial beekeepers in mind.  Use it, or don't.  Adjust it to suit your situation, or don't.  I was just throwing a tool out there for those who might want or need it.
        Where I live and keep bees, I have landowners begging me to bring bees
out to their property.  As a practical matter, I could have a dozen out
yards if I were so inclined and not have to give a penny, or a drop of
honey, for them.  I am certain circumstances are different in different areas, but for me, I have what the local farmers seem to desperately want, so I
 can set terms pretty much as I please.  If I were to talk to a farmer
about signing that lease, it would probably go something like "I'm not
asking you to sign this because I think you and I will ever need it, but
 I heard about this situation where a landowner passed and one of his
real problem about the beehives..."  Farmers are typically very
practical people, and I've had a number of local ones look at my lease
and none of them have said they'd have any problem with it.
       I am a small timer, and I never plan to move any of my colonies more than about 25 miles from where I live. I keep bees for personal enjoyment, and work a 9 to 5 to make a living.  I am also a single parent, so I usually can't drop everything and go move beehives on one day's notice.  The notice could be 3 months, 3 weeks, 3 days, or 3 hours... whatever works for you.  I personally like giving myself lots of options.
        As to the pound of honey per hive, I concede, none of the farmers I know of would be moved by the prospect of getting $4 worth of honey for signing my lease, but none of the beekeepers I know would go to the trouble of moving a single hive to a new out yard either.
       It really comes down to scale and perspective.   If I was running 2,000 hives out to CA  every year, I'd probably have a much different take and approach.

Brutz