Date:
Mon, 25 Nov 2002 07:57:07 -0500
>  Donald Wrote:

> ... However, if you treat as per the label, the
> survivors will also be the ones that are resistant and will pass on their
> resistant genes. I don't see why leaving the strips on over winter would
> make any difference whatsoever in the development of resistance.

I may be incorrect in this analysis, but I believe that the idea behind
limited application is to deliberately allow *some* mites to remain
untreated (e.g. those emerging from capped cells after treatment is
removed).  This ensures that the gene pool retains significant numbers of
mites which are *not* resistant.  Otherwise, the only mites to survive would
be those which have proven resistance.  In a short time, these genes would
be reinforced by breeding with other resistant mites, ad infinitum.

This concept is intrinsic to current understanding of limited use of
pesticides.  When GM food crops which produce BT are planted, farmers are
advised to plant non-GMO "trap" crops to ensure the survival of significant
numbers of non-resistant pests, which will breed with those that may have
resistance, keeping the resistance genes diluted, and keeping the pesticide
effective.

I guess it's wise to follow the directions.

Todd.