Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Mar 2008 22:52:26 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (25 lines)
I can't comment on the thoroughness of the study. 

As an apple grower at least here in the Midwest, we can safely hold off applying any insecticide 
until after petal fall. 

My experience with vine crops and pollination would make me more concerned about this material 
on melons, cucumbers and pumpkins etc. Evening or early morning applications could be deadly 
followed by  hot muggy, damp mornings. We find that as the new melon or vine crop blossoms 
open daily that the morning time is the most busy time for our bees. 

The reality is that the applicator may be more important then the material.  Some people scoff at 
education to solve problems but I think that federal or state attempts to ensure regular education 
of all applicators would be very beneficial to our industry and the environment in general. 

In my state only restricted use chemicals require any certification or training. Most products can 
be used by anyone with a sprayer. Even the farm coops who do contract spraying around me seem  
clueless to their responsibilities per the label and pollinators. Many are concerned and surprised 
when I tell them that they have a legal responsibility to read and follow the label concerning 
flowering crops and spraying. 

* General Information About BEE-L is available at: *
* http://www.honeybeeworld.com/bee-l/default.htm   *

ATOM RSS1 RSS2