From:
Brian Fredericksen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Mar 2008 22:52:26 -0400
I can't comment on the thoroughness of the study.

As an apple grower at least here in the Midwest, we can safely hold off applying any insecticide
until after petal fall.

My experience with vine crops and pollination would make me more concerned about this material
on melons, cucumbers and pumpkins etc. Evening or early morning applications could be deadly
followed by  hot muggy, damp mornings. We find that as the new melon or vine crop blossoms
open daily that the morning time is the most busy time for our bees.

The reality is that the applicator may be more important then the material.  Some people scoff at
education to solve problems but I think that federal or state attempts to ensure regular education
of all applicators would be very beneficial to our industry and the environment in general.

In my state only restricted use chemicals require any certification or training. Most products can
be used by anyone with a sprayer. Even the farm coops who do contract spraying around me seem
clueless to their responsibilities per the label and pollinators. Many are concerned and surprised
when I tell them that they have a legal responsibility to read and follow the label concerning
flowering crops and spraying.