From:
Tim Channell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Aug 1996 08:05:20 -0600
Adony, organic honey?  This is a great topic for our forum to discuss.  I
am an urban beekeeper and never use chemical in my hives.  I think the
organic certification idea would be something worth pursuing, but I see
how incredibly problematic it would be to confirm.  For example, if you
never used chemicals in your hives, but your bees foraged nectar and
pollen from fields and lawns that were/are chemically treated would not
that mean that the honey in your hives is derived from chemically treated
nectar, etc ?  It seems fair to say that your honey is therefore not
organic.  Contrary to the standards that have been established in the
farming industry which regulate total input into your fields (manures
tonnaged used, sources of all compost, etc.) we can't regulate to any
predictable degree just where our bees get their pollen and nectar.

Pursuing this argument, it would seem that despite my attempts to make my
hives organic, the bees just won't cooperate and solely seek out
organically grown flowers.

Organic is great, but in beekeeping it may be impossible to achieve.

Tim Channell, El Paso, Texas
Purple Cow Organic Farm