From:
Bob & Liz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Nov 2001 10:49:18 -0600
-----Original Message-----
From:   Aaron Morris [SMTP:[log in to unmask]]
Sent:   Monday, November 19, 2001 7:27 AM
To:     [log in to unmask]
Subject:        Re: Requeening in November? Help?

Hello Ellen and All,
Aaron wrote;
In our parts (way up north) with the excepting of taking strips out if they're still in, and wrapping if you wrap, THE SEASON IS OVER!  My advice (others may disagree) is leave the hive alone.
Although not as far north as Aaron  I agree with Aaron for   the Kansas City  area. All preparations other than wrapping should already be done. I was surprised to hear  how many beekeepers came to the Midwestern Beekeepers meeting yesterday wanting to know  what they needed to do to get their bees ready for winter. Hello! Timing is many times the  difference between  successful beekeeping and unsuccessful beekeeping.   I do have three yards which need strips removed. I plan to do those  Thursday. I  will break the seal to pull strips rather than  leave strips in all winter. I like to leave the strips for the correct amount of time but not a day longer.
Aaron writes:
THE SEASON  IS OVER!
Should be the  next season has already started.   Treating  and  preparing for winter is the start of the next season.
Did you make a list of things that went wrong this year and  ways to improve?
Make a list of  equipment needing repair or replacement?
What changes could you make next year to make your job easier?
There  are many other things to list but the above  tops my list.
Sincerely,
Bob Harrison
Ps. Ellen  is  wise to be concerned about a  hive with  a  queen problem.    Because of our intense flows in the Midwest about  10% of the hives are found  queenless in fall. We need to find those hives  and  correct the situation as they will not  survive winter.  Early on we  requeen and  later  we combine  BUT NOT at this time of year in our area (at least I don't).