From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Apr 2011 21:26:38 -0700

> >I have seen this from time to time as long as I have kept bees (40 years)
> and
> in occasional isolated cells for the most part.

It's funny how when something that has always been present is brought to our
attention, that we finally start to notice it.  I've also always seen
occasional entombed cells.  So this is hardly a "new" phenomenon.

>I wonder if the stored pollen is somehow deemed substandard by bees or even
toxic why isn't it simply
removed from the cell, evacuated, thereby allwoing reutilization of the
cell?

Natural selection must have found that it is more adaptive to seal it off
than to deal with potentially toxic substances.

Randy Oliver