Date:
Sun, 24 Feb 2013 17:31:24 -0500
As we're talking mites, here's somehting from my blog:

Chris

HOW ARE THE MITEY FALLEN?
Posted on February 17, 2013 by chrissladesbeeblog

Yesterday there was a meeting of DARG, the Devon Apicultural Research
Group, so I strayed over the border to Uplowman, nearTiverton, to
attend.  Unfortunately it clashed with Somerset’s annual Lecture Day so
there were only 10 of us to attend to a presentation by The Bee Vet;
Emily Simcock BSc(hons),BVSc(hons),MRCVS.  She isn’t a beekeeper
herself (yet!) and 90% of her vetinerary activity is with cows.

We did discuss the ways and means that EU approved substances can be
used and obtained over here and they are considering entering that
market place; however, beekeepers are notoriously tight-fisted so the
market may be small.

The main part of Emily’s  presentation was concerned with an experiment
she is conducting with the help of the Buckfast Bee Lady, Clare
Densley, who was present, to see whether the mite, Stratiolaelaps, that
attacks the red mite that afflicts poultry, will also attack the Varroa
mite. With the aid of powerpoint and and Excel bar chart she was able
to show us the results so far.These are exactly the same mites that are
used by The Chicken Vet.

Clare had used the treatment on 6 hives at Buckfast Abbey compared with
5 untreated controls.  All the hives have ladies’ names rather than
numbers; I’m not sure whether the name is of the colony or of the
queen. I suspect the latter as if, for example, Ermyntrude is split,
the daughter colony will become Ermyntrude 2, giving some clue as to
the family tree on the female side.

Clare checked and recorded the mite drop on all the hives on a weekly
basis. The treated colonies were given about 800 Stratiolaelaps mites
on 11th April, 9th May, 26th June and 18th September. The controls were
untreated until Bayvarol was used on 20th September when the graph
showed that the Varroa numbers were soaring. Bayvarol has not been used
there for 5 or 6 years and mite resistance has diminished so there was
a drop of thousands!

Whereas the graph of the controls showed the expected steeply rising
curve, that of the treated colonies showed an undulating wave along the
bottom of the graph showing that the treatment works.

We discussed the pitfalls: first is the cost. Enough mites to treat 5
hives once would cost £14.50 and not many beekeepers would fork that
out several times a year. The cost for a 10 hive treatment would be
£25.70.  Then comes the short ‘shelf life’ as the mites, being living
creatures, can’t sit around in a tub for too long. Refridgeration
prolongs their shelf life a little but not indefinitely. Then comes
administration methods.  The mites naturally live in the litter where
fowls nest, so they will tend to head downwards, rather than staying in
the brood area of the hive for example.  If scattered on the top bars,
a high proportion might just fall down and out.  We suggested either
the ‘newspaper’ method used for uniting colonies, which would enable a
gentle entry into the hive as the bees chewed through the paper, or
else the ‘teabag’ method, devised by the late Ron Brown for
administering thymol and used by me last year.

It was a very interesting talk, breaking new ground for us.  After
Emily had done, the conversation ventured into other issues such as the
sexual transmission of DWV and the incidence of foulbrood. Our leader,
Richard Ball, who had once headed the Bee Inspectorate, told us that
EFB is running at about 3% and AFB less than 1%.  When the politicians
learn of this, there may be cuts back in the number of Bee Inspectors!