From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Nov 2010 13:31:38 -0600
Sent: Tuesday, November 16, 2010 6:05 AM
Subject: [BEE-L] Are Pesticides Poisoning Honey Bees?

Peter posted:

>As usual, the news media has cherry-picked this story to bolster their
>bias. Excerpts from a more informed article on the studies:

> In summary, this project will be seeking to understand the molecular basis
> of learning and memory in bees using our knowledge of mammalian processes
> and address if, and how, these are affected by pesticide exposure.

It seems above the *more informed* article still sums up as looking to find
out how learning and memory are affected by PESTICIDE exposure or am I
missing something?

I was glad to see the article understands that the hypothesis of Jerry
Brumenshenk and his group has a long way to go before the beekeeping world
will  say *CCD cause found* and a longer way to go before the *CCD solution
is found*.

At first it was nosema ceranae & IAPV = CCD
then :
Kashmir virus & nosema ceranae = CCD
Now:
A new virus & nosema ceranae = CCD

From the first report most beekeepers realized the only possible solution
for the above was to control nosema ceranae (the tools are available and
approved) *and* to maintain low enough varroa levels in our bees to prevent
parasitic mite syndrome (PMS) which is the term the USDA-ARS named which
includes
*all* virus issues with bees (IAPV, Kashmir & any new or unnamed virus).

Please call me when something really new is discovered as I need to keep
busy controlling varroa & nosema in my bees.

I might add an observation from my years of keeping Russian/Russian bees.
Almost no PMS despite a high level of varroa mites. I would be very
interested in the reason why?  As the Russian line is mixed with mongrels
you start to see PMS in the hives at the same varroa levels as the original
Russian/Russian line tolerated. Hmmm.

Years ago I had an email from Charlie concerning  my seeing nosema ceranae
effecting my Russian/Russian bees. Charlie emailed the Russian bee is
effected by nosema ceranae like other races.

bob