From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Mar 2010 09:26:11 -0400
>  think what the levels such a study in the Central Valley of California would attest

Yes, well, when I first read about the high levels of organophosphates in hives from sources other than coumaphos, I thought: what is that doing there? Now I know. Unfortunately, this stuff is everywhere so I guess the question is: how much is too much?

> Coincident samples of arctic marine fog and air were found to contain the following pesticides, chlorpyrifos, chlorothalonil, metolachlor, terbufos and trifluralin.  Concentrations of the pesticides in the fog were much higher than adjoining compartments of snow, ice, air, water or microlayer. Exchanges at these interfaces may be a common occurrence in the Arctic especially since fogs are common over much of the area.

MARINE ARCTIC FOG: AN ACCUMULATOR OF CURRENTLY USED PESTICIDE
Clifford P. Rice & Sergei M. Chemyak USDA
Chemosphere, Vol. 35, No. 4, pp. 867-878, 1997