Reply To:
Discussion of Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Jun 1996 12:28:26 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (30 lines)
 Roy Nettlebeck wrote                                                           
>come the ones with cells that were void, about 100 or more on a frame of       
>capped brood.The ones with the solid brood frames , had a higher               
>population of workers.That is why we want good queens.The queens came          
>from the same breeder and in fact from the same queen Mother. That could       
>be a problem right there.But the drones have a function in this also.          

>the slow ones. The ones with holes are not more than 20% behind the ones       
>with solid brood patterns.Maybe I just want perfection and when I see it       
>I want it in all my hives.                                                     
> I thought that it was just a gene problem before and it may still be one?     
> I would like to know what the strongest factor that drives egg                
>production is?                                                                 

This is a lack of diversity. A good breeder will have numerous lines of bees    
to choose from, and once the queen mother is chosen then all related lines      
should be removed from the breeding yard. Or the area could be flooded by       
offspring(drones) from the drone mother.                                        
        Dr. Medhat Nasr did some work on close relation mating. It was          
established that the closer the relationship to sister-brother then the more    
the pattern disintegrated into this shot gun look.                              
        I would suggest your breeder leaves a lot to be desired.                
    ****************************************************                        
   * David Eyre          9 Progress Drive, Unit 2,  *                           
   * The Beeworks,    Orillia, Ontario, L3V 6H1. *                              
   * [log in to unmask]      705-326-7171 *                                   
   * http://www.muskoka.net/~beeworks           *                               
   *  Agents for: E H Thorne &  B J Sherriff UK. *                              
   ****************************************************                         

ATOM RSS1 RSS2