From:
James Kilty <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Oct 2000 01:28:09 +0100
In message <[log in to unmask]>, Allen Dick
<[log in to unmask]> writes
>Board
>P/u   Yard Name         Sugar   Result  Sticky  Result
>Date                            Shake           (Mites) Board           (Mites)
>
>O5      BCNE                    S28             0               S28
>0
>O5      BCSW                    S29             0               S29
>0
>O5      BCSE                    S29             0               S28
>13
>O5      Jahns'          O5              3               O5              0
>O5      Taylors'                O5              0               O5
>1
>O13     Vanovers'               O10             0               O10
>28
>O13     KadarE          O6              0               O6              235
>O13     KadarW          O6              3               O6              235
>O13     ButlerW         O10             0               O10             162
>O13     ButlerE         O10             0               O10             41
>O13     Pisco                   O11             0               O11
>204
>O13     Hainsworth              O11             0               O11
>63
>O13     Dixon Bush              O11             28              O11
>421
>O10     Wilson                  O10             4               O10
>288
>O11     Dixon           O11             8               O10             22
>O12     Beckwith's              O12             5               O12
>72
>O12     Schlags Hill    O10             0               O12             213
>O10     Schlag CS               O10             0               O10
>2
>O13     Rattai          O12             1               O12             381
>
>Key: O13 is October 13, S29 is September 29
>I would be interested in comments from scientists and extension people as well
>as beekeepers on what to make of this.
I show the table as received. I don't find it easy to follow, but make
an assumption I can read it. I suggest that there are 2 practical
variables which cause problems. Firstly, and most importantly, where
were the bees taken from in the sample of a cupful? Was it done in
exactly the same way for each hive? In other words is the sample
representative of all bees. If the mites for example are mainly on young
bees in the brood nest, then a sample from outside the brood nest would
have much less mites. If you can guesstimate the number of bees in the
samples and the numbers of bees in the hives, you can determine if the
ratio of 49 is about right or not.

The second problem is posed by the small number of mites in the samples.
12X0, 1x1, 0x2, 2x3, 1x4, 1x5, 1x8 & 1x28 indicate such a low number
that sampling variations make 0 quite common. So, multiplying factors
cannot be reliable. Working back from your apistan figures you expect 8
from the Dixon Bush measurement, so 28 is larger by a factor of 3.
Rattai is the other that is out of line with the ratio. The others are
more or less what I would expect. Also, the ratio of 49 is very
influenced by one count of 28! It would be much larger if this result
were ignored.
--
James Kilty