Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Nov 2015 06:53:40 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (17 lines)
A Mr Borst snip...
> Beekeepers were apportioned two seats. With 12 hives, hobby beekeeper Stephen Wilson has chaired the Apiary Industry Advisory Committee for over 15 years. 

I could comment on why the Apiary Industry Advisory Committee has been “chaired” for 15 years by someone with 12 hives, but I won’t.

my comments to a totally tangential topic..
Like Mr Borst (I think???) first I perceive myself as a member of the agricultural community and as a subset of that I then see myself as a beekeeper.

I look around here (Texas) and see few folks at the apiary inspection service or at the state beekeeper organization level with little experience in either agriculture or beekeeping.  Beyond the lack of hands on experience they also seem to have little understanding of the history of the industry or the past problems the industry has encountered.  All want to 'make changes' to enhance their reputation or image but none can tell you what problems these changes are meant to resolve.  Then of course we have your run of the mill 'nut jobs' who's current interest is 'saving the bees' who are all the darlings of the media but don't seem to know how to light a smoker or which end of a hive tool to use for what.  

Really makes me wonder why I should involve myself with such folks.... which is perhaps indirectly an answer to Mr Borst question above.

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2