Date:
Fri, 27 Aug 2010 06:34:38 -0700
> The practice of feeding OTC in syrup, as was previously recommended by
> officials here,  led to inefficient control of AFB and resulting
> resistance.

That is interesting.  Has this been proven?

We have heard a number of theories, including blaming extender patties,
however I have never seen any proof.

It is well-known now (and it was much less known previously) however, that
unrelated bacteria exchange genetic material when in close proximity.

It is my understanding that resistance to oxytetracycline was quite common
in other ubiquitous bacteria before AFB acquired that trait.

There has been quite a bit of genetic work done to try to distinguish the
various origins of AFB antibiotic resistance and I have heard snippets.  Is
anyone aware of any authoritative summary?