From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Jul 2012 07:09:31 -0500
Hello Brian & All,
About time the U.S. models match up with the GFS European models.
I personally want bad news right away. Not spin put on by weather people.

weather patterns can change quickly at times but the current drought has
been going on in areas of Texas and Oklahoma for several years. The area I
live only recently saw the extreme drought declared in our area. I am
surprised the news media is not making the general public aware of the
situation since no end is in sight.

Water restrictions are starting to start and *violations* will result in
fines if continues. At the end of this week the only drought record left in
my area to break is the dust bowl days of the thirties.

Commercial beekeeping:
Drought in the old days ( personal memory) had devastating effects on
beekeeping. Today with current tools I can feed both pollen sub, syrup &
provide water fairly easy but expensive. I would say beekeepers in the
drought of the thirties (considered the worst in my area since record
keeping) stood by and watched their hives die.( what my father told me as he
was a teenager on a farm then).

My grandfather Albert Harrison moved his family (lost the farm to the bank)
into Oklahoma City. The three oldest boys quit school to work digging
ditches for oil pipe line (pick & shovel) to support the large family. The
family stood for hours in soup lines.

If as the below says the drought could last until winter everything will be
effected.

Farmers are adjusting to working in the high heat. A beekeeper from Canada
was here a couple weeks ago and he spoke of high nitrates in corn from early
frost on corn. He spoke of being able to step outside with below zero wind
and not get frostbite as his body had adjusted but I would need protection
if
I visited in winter.

My father said the blowing dust was far worse than the heat.

Maybe people should stop watching "Dancing with the Stars" or "The bachelor"
and TV come up with a few real reality shows.

http://www.businessweek.com/ap/2012-07-20/us-forecast-hot-dry-weather-to-linger-into-fall

>And that means the heartland's "flash drought" will linger at least until
>around Halloween and even spread a bit farther north and east.

Sincerely,
Bob Harrison
off to check bees before the intense heat arrives.