From:
Peter Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Apr 2007 23:01:53 +0100
Peter Borst quoted from the Buckfast Abbey website:
> Soon after Br. Adam joined Brother Columban, thirty out of the Abbey's
> forty-six colonies were wiped out by a disease known as Acarine. All of
> the bees that  > died were of the native British black bee variety.

We should remember that although many died, many colonies of native black
bees survived - and are still doing very well - something that Brother Adam
failed to recognise.

I was also interested to note from the website that in 2004 they produced
'over four tons' of honey were produced from 240 colonies.  Even if that was
four and a half tons, 10080lbs from 240 colonies is only 42 lbs per colony -
not much of a recommendation for the Buckfast bee?

Best wishes

Peter Edwards
www.stratford-upon-avon.freeserve.co.uk/