From:
Jose Villa <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Jul 2017 07:35:33 -0600
Bee-L is in some ways an information technology anachronism in this age
of immediate information overload: (1) posts are primarily text,
complete sentences with no abbreviations, no acronyms, no emoticons and
correct grammar, (2) a human moderator receives posts and manually
directs them to the list, (3) the forum is mostly monothematic and (4)
centered around information and dialogue on findings, discoveries,
practical experience.

We cannot even conduct a "poll", but it is likely that most
contributors and readers value the above "outdated" nature and tone of
this forum.  I suggest we stay on topic, be respectful of the moderator
and only send information-based posts on bees, and maintain an
atmosphere of collegial dialogue.  Those who knew Ed Southwick, the
founder of the list, would agree that this was his intention.  Those
who want to discuss other subjects (as fascinating and important as
they are) have many other platforms and fora in which to debate.
 Having intense debate on other subjects go through a moderator and
have to be skipped by a majority not interested in reading seems
inefficient.