From:
Ian Watson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Oct 1997 18:36:14 -0400
----------
From: Ron Bogansky <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Honey Prices
Date: October 15, 1997 4:22 PM

>Over the weekend I was browsing at an antique market and I saw an empty 5
><SNIP>
>Just because you enjoy doing the job thefinal product doesn't lose value.
>Selling any product at a lower price than it is worth does a disservice to the
industry.
><SNIP>
><SNIP>The price tag sends a message: Quality.  We as consumers
> are accustomed to paying a little more for a better product.
> <SNIP>
>I guess I have said enough, its time to get down off the box.  I probably
>stepped on a few toes but remember its just my opinion.  You are probably
>wondering what I consider a "fair" price.  I charge $3.25 retail and $2.00
>wholesale for a one pound jar.  Price comes down as container size goes up,
>but it never goes below $1.20 per pound.  I produce between two and three
>thousand pounds per year.  Its what I do and it works for me.

I agree.  I sell my honey for $3.00/pound retail plus the cost of the jar. And
a bit lower wholesale and only if I have to...;)  I see some other beekeepers'
honey at stores and the retail price is lower than I charge wholesale!  I can't
sell mine for that low a price.  It's a hobby, but it also costs a lot of money
and time to produce a honey that people tell me is excellent.  The Ontario
Beekeepers Association suggests we sell for $2.00/pound.  I think that's even
too low. 'Nuff said

Ian Watson    [log in to unmask]
real estate agent     gardener    baritone
beekeeper---> 11 colonies and counting