From:
Roy Nettlebeck <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Apr 1996 16:03:07 -0700
 Hi All, Is there a method to approximate the number of feral colonys
that we have in any area?  I gave a talk to a school today about bees.
About 150 children were present.The children noticed that there were few
bees around this year. So I took a drive around and scouted apple trees
and dandilion blooms. I saw 1 honey bee in two hours.40 t0 50 apple
trees. The sun was shinning also. I think feral colonys are history in my
area.This seems worse to me than I first thought that we would loose some
honey bees and would have some wild one left to pollenate the wild berrys
and nut for the birds to live on.
 I would like to know if there are any ongoin studys going on about the
wild bees? We may see some major changes in wildlife because of the loss
of the feral colonys. I'm in Washington state USA and I wonder if othere
areas have the same problem. Thank You
 Beast Reagards
  Roy