Date:
Mon, 11 Oct 2010 07:46:30 -0400
There was an interesting comment by Shan Bilimoria, one of the participants
in the study-

"At this stage, the study is showing an association of death rates of the
bees with the virus and fungus present," Bilimoria said. "Our contribution
to this study confirms association. But even that doesn't prove cause and
effect. Not just yet."

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/10/101007183018.htm

That is good science and recognizes that, even thought the associations lead
to a conclusion, the science is not settled.

I believer Juanse posted the link to Hal Lewis' letter of resignation from
the American Physical Society. He was a member for sixty-seven years and is
an Emeritus Professor of Physics at the University of California, Santa
Barbara. His resignation letter states, in part-

The appallingly tendentious APS statement on Climate Change was apparently
> written in a hurry by a few people over lunch, and is certainly not
> representative of the talents of APS members as I have long known them. So a
> few of us petitioned the Council to reconsider it. One of the outstanding
> marks of (in)distinction in the Statement was the poison word
> incontrovertible, which describes few items in physics, certainly not this
> one. In response APS appointed a secret committee that never met, never
> troubled to speak to any skeptics, yet endorsed the Statement in its
> entirety. ...

The issue is science, not studies.  "Incontrovertible" studies are few and
far between as is shown by Shan Bilimoria's comment.

Science is open to demolishing widely held beliefs, even those declared
fundamental in college textbooks. When I left undergraduate studies and into
my Master's program, I learned that much of what I had thought of as
fundamental actually had to have a "yes, but" added. The fundamentals may
have been accurate in the macro world but not in the micro. The differences
were minuscule but there were differences.

What I love about this list is that science generally wins over time. If you
followed the discussions about CCD and its possible causes, it became more
and more refined. There were even suppositions that mirrored the eventual
findings. Agendas abounded (me included) and I wonder if all are now
convinced. Time will tell. (I am since one of my guesses was that it was a
combination of pathogens.)

What I appreciate more than anything that has transpired in our discussion
of CCD is Jerry's patience and tenacity in sticking with us and keeping us
informed. He has a tough hide and I admire him for staying around when most
would have left.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine