From:
Stan Sandler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Mar 2013 10:24:09 -0300
On Sat, Mar 23, 2013 at 2:21 AM, Stellio Matson <[log in to unmask]>wrote:

> http://www.bayercropscience.co.uk/assets/Uploads/Poncho-EIS3.pdf
>
> "No risk management necessary. When used according to the label,
> Poncho [clothandin] poses no unacceptable risk to earthworms."
>

> https://www.syngenta-crop.co.uk/products/cruisersb/environmental-information.aspx
>
> "CRUISER SB [thiamethoxam,]is of low toxicity to earthworms. No risk
> management is necessary as the risk to earthworms is low."
>
> http://www.bayercropscience.com.au/resources/uploads/Bulletin/file7890.pdf
>
> "Gaucho [imidacloprid] is applied to the seed prior to planting and does
> not come into contact with beneficial species such as spiders, ants or
> earthworms."

I wish you would dig a little deeper than the claims made by the
insecticide manufacturers, Paul.  I notice that Randy qualified himself
regarding the harm that neonicotinoids pose to earthworms.

How can you shoot or drill into soil, with varying percentages of sharp
sand, without abrading the seed coating?  Just air is blowing off toxic
dust, going into soil is going to remove move.  Now mind you this material
is still available to the rootlets, but also to the general soil
environment.  With potato sets that are soaked in a solution, perhaps this
is much less.  In fact, I am a bit surprised that the seed companies are
not investigating soaking and then quick drying (before germination) as an
alternative for dust prevention.  But I find Bill's arguments about point
source application completely specious.  Water, tillage, and crop residue
all move long lasting materials around in the soil.  Regarding worms:

 Impact of imidacloprid residues on the development of< i> Eisenia
fetida</i> during vermicomposting of greenhouse plant
waste<http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0304389411008521>

the full paper here:
http://www.researchgate.net/publication/51507621_Impact_of_imidacloprid_residues_on_the_development_of_Eisenia_fetida_during_vermicomposting_of_greenhouse_plant_waste/file/d912f505b0e0b8b473.pdf

Assessment of the effects of imidacloprid on the behavior of two earthworm
species (< i> Aporrectodea nocturna</i> and< i> Allolobophora icterica</i>)
using 2D …<http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0147651305000321>

the full paper here:
[PDF] from inra.fr<http://www.prodinra.inra.fr/prodinra/pinra/data/2011/04/PROD20063572c7a_20110414103711279.pdf>