From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 Aug 2011 07:43:30 -0700
Thank you for your detailed reply Marc.  We also find that bees getting good
protein nutrition survive the effects of varroa much better.

I have a question for you regarding mite population dynamics during your
7-month winter.  Have your measured mite levels going into winter, and then
coming out of it?  I'm asking because I'm curious as to how well the mite
population is able to maintain itself on the small amount of brood reared
during the winter.

To All: Back to my survival question, let's forget the 100-hive minimum.
 How about treatment-free survival rates in non Africanized areas (since
Africanized swarms can move in an replace deadouts) in apiaries of at least
24 hives (I find that mite pressure appears to be greater in apiaries of
more than a few hives).

--
Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA