From:
Peter Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Feb 2014 18:13:57 -0000
>I would rather import from areas with similiar disease and pest pressures
as what we already see in this country.

But that may not be so easy to determine.

As an example: not that long ago we thought that EFB was EFB.  Now we know
(I am relying on memory here) that there are at least 17 strains of it.  I
believe that we have 6 of those in the UK, so if we import from countries on
the basis that they have EFB and we have EFB, we might find that we are
actually importing exotic and far more virulent strains.

The problem is summed up neatly by that old saying: 'we don't know what we
don't know'.  I hate to say it, but we could be heading back to the
precautionary principle!

Best wishes

Peter
52°14'44.44"N, 1°50'35"W