From:
Adam Finkelstein <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 May 1994 14:29:39 -0400
From: [log in to unmask] (william j. clinton)
Newsgroups: sci.agriculture.beekeeping
Subject: Import Relief China
Date: Fri, 20 May 1994 00:08:09 GMT

To the Congress of the United States:

...After considering all the relevant aspects of the investigation,
including those set forth in section 202(c) of the Trade Act of 1974,
I have determined that import relief for honey is not in the national
economic interest of the United States. However, I am directing the
United States Trade Representative, in consultation with the appropriate
agencies to develop a plan to monitor imports of honey from China. This
monitoring program is to be developed within thirty days of this
determination.

   Since I have determined that the provision of import relief is not
in the national economic interest of the United States, I am required by
that section 203(b) of the Trade Act of 1974 to report to Congress on
the reasons underlying this determination.

   In determining not to provided import relief, I considered its overall
costs to the U.S. economy. The USITC majority recommendation for a
quarterly tariff rate quota (a 25 percent ad valorem charge on the
first 12.5 million pounds each quarter, increasing to 50 percent on
amounts above that levee), to be applied for three years would cost
consumers about $7 million while increasing producers income by just
$1.9 million. The other forms of relief recommended by other
Commissioners would also result in substantial cost to consumers while
offering little benefit to producers.

   In addition, the gap between production and consumption in the United
States in approximately 100 million pounds, with imports of honey from
China helping to fill that gap at the low end for industrial use. Any
restriction on imports of honey from China would likely lead to
increased imports from other countries rather than significantly increase
market share for U.S. producers.

   Although rising somewhat since 1991, U.S. honey inventories are not
large by historical experience, ether in absolute amounts or relative to
consumption. Honey stocks reported by U.S. Department of Agriculture
were much higher in mid-1980's (about 75 percent of consumption in 1985
and 1986), before falling to their lowest level in a decade in 1991
(26.6 percent of consumption). The 1993 stocks were 37.8 percent of
consumption, well below the 1980-1993 average level of 46.4 percent.

   The U.S. government has supported honey producers since 1950, in part
to ensure enough honeybees would be available for crop pollination. This
is an important national interest. I believe that current trends in the
provision of pollination and honey production will not be significantly
affected by not providing relief. Crop producers indicate that they
believe pollination will still be cost effective even if service prices
rise.

    I have also concluded that, in this case, imposing trade restriction
on imports of honey would run counter to our policy of promoting an open
and fair international trading system.

                        William J. Clinton
                        The White House, April 21, 1994
<EOF>