From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Mar 2009 12:57:38 -0500
Gavin said:
>I'm not saying that Bob has to do this - nor even that special genetics is
>the only reason for such survivors - but they could be useful to someone.

I am mostly a tester for the industry. Some might want to dig through the
fall culls if they want but I have found I came get better bang for my buck
with a new split from a healthy hive than a "dink" which the reason for the
current state of the hive is not fully understood.

I have a vast knowledge of survivor bees which dates back even before my ABJ
article on Dann Purvis.
Bees which survive varroa all seem to do so based mainly on several methods.
We were looking at hygienic behavior before doing such was cool. We were
selecting for hygienic bees on a 12 hour basis when Marla was using a 24
hour basis. Our first Marla hygienic queen we ordered from Glenn Apiaries
years ago barely made the 24 hour grade but did. We raised over a 1000
queens from her before she disappeared. Most our Glenn apiary breeders
usually do not last over 6 months to a year. What are others seeing?

Randy Oliver & Dann Purvis will quickly tell you doing private beekeeping
research does not pay very good.

This year I am testing hard wood frames out of Viet nam and a new plastic
hive body for migratory beeks produced here in the U.S.. with a new two
piece lid. Brought to market by a  beek at the same price as wood.

Only a small test as the beek is putting around 8000 of these bodies in
service. He wants to be sure the box works before selling to beeks. The beek
wants my input on the designs.

The designs I will test should arrive next week.

bob