From:
"J. Waggle" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Mar 2009 07:33:50 -0700
> http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/03/090313150254.htm
>
> . Experimental research with insect larvae at Wageningen
> University and
> > Simon Fraser University in Canada has shown that one
> virus particle is
> > theoretically enough to cause infection and subsequent
> disease.

Thanks, I enjoyed the article!  It would be a GREAT stretch indeed, to think that theories or conclusions based on research performed with caterpillars are in any way ‘transferable’ to honeybees.  Honeybees, being social insects have mechanisms to deal with virus that I would suppose caterpillars do not have.  Therefore, the implication that 'perhaps' was being made that ‘one virus particle can do it’ in honeybees is simply not supported by facts.

Remaining steadfast in my belief that honeybees are not defenseless creatures.

Best Wishes,
Joe