From:
Kristina Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Jan 2016 20:30:51 -0700
Floyd: 3 quarts just seems like a very small amount for that time of the
year.

   As Deborah mentioned, there was a severe drought.  Plants shut down
nectar production under such conditions.  When there's a long dry fall
(Indian summer), bees are actively foraging, getting nothing, and using
stores like crazy.  The past two falls I've left 50 #, hoping for another
20 for the winter, but finding only 20# in mid Nov.  Even healthy hives can
be light.
   You are right, though, in thinking that there was a problem brewing.
Varroa/viruses shorten lifespans, and the end-of-life job is foraging. So,
the hive comes up short.
   It may also be that the hive was robbed as it became weaker.
Cheers,
Kristina Williams
Boulder, CO