From:
Bob Darrell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Jul 2012 20:49:46 -0400
On 7-Jul-12, at 8:50 AM, Bill Greenrose wrote

Hi Bill and All

> Does anyone see any problems with doing this cutdown?  Some of the
> boxes have box joints.  Do you think they will be weakened too
> much, if cut partially through?

I sometimes cut both top and bottom of old deeps because the major
damage is usually at the top.  I remove the nails near the cuts
before running the box through the saw.  I try to keep the handholds
as close to the centre as possible and cut using the box joints as a
guide where possible.  If I cut the top off I have made a jig for my
router and use it to cut frame rests.

> So, does anyone think that running four mediums would be overkill?
> Would you recommend just three?  By the same token, should I
> consider dropping down to just two deeps?

Ten years ago or so, a friend tried to convince me that single deep
brood chambers are the way to go.  During our flight to Ireland that
year I did some calculations and found out that he was right, a queen
cannot lay up ten frames(in my case nine as I use nine frames in 10
frame boxes) before the first few frames have emerging bees.  Most
hives in Ontario are operated and wintered as singles.  One large
beekeeper (500 hives) claims to operate and winter some of his hives
in one single medium broodbox.  Most of my hives are singles and
often find  the brood wall to wall.

Bob Darrell
Caledon Ontario
Canada