From:
Kevin Roddy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Sep 1995 07:03:37 -1000
Many bee books mention drumming as a way of "enticing" or "gently nudging"
bees to move upward and clearing a honey super or a brood box.  Some bee
books mention that drumming is the preferred way of parting bees from their
brood and pollen stores.

A few weeks ago, I wrote to report that I've taken over management of a
"primitive" hive in a box whose brood area is "natural," i.e., no moveable
frames of broodcomb.  I took the first step in removing the
boxes above the brood area and replaced them with Langstroth
type supers.

Possessing a hive without moveable frames is illegal in many states, and
I'm hoping that you all won't turn me in :> but eventually I would like to
convert the lower quarters into moveable frames .  I *hate* parting bees
from pollen and brood just to conform to state laws, especially froma hive
that has been around as long as this one has, and other ways of trying to
remove bees from brood frames (lots of smoke, shaking the frames) tend to
get the bees agitated.

Who on the list has had experience with drumming, and how successful has
it been for you as a management practice?

thanks

kevin