From:
Jerry Bromenshenk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Mar 2006 08:45:02 -0700
>Bob and Dee:

>If you could plant a chip or chips for tracking hives,
>where would you place one?
>
>To super/box
>embedded in frame of drawn comb
>on bee for tracking back to hive

A chip for a bee that could remain on the bee for its life has yet to be
produced -- we came close, but not small enough.  The antenna is the
barrier -- we have nanoblock transmitters -- size of pencil point
dot.  Very small antennas have dispersal/range problems.

For the box, frame -- we can provide the chips immediately -- @ 35c/each,
in rolls of 500 or more.  Price depends on size of order.  These chips are
superior to the $10 chips that Bob mentions -- farther ranger (5-20 ft
read, versus inches), and the information on the chip can be locked OR
reprogrammed using a security, encrypted password reader.  These chips can
go in the box OR frame, can be buried in the wood or plastic -- so they are
hidden.

For $40-50, we provide a battery-powered, 7 yr life, transmitting chip that
we recommend for use on pallets.  With a battery swap (30 cents), you
should get as much as 10 yrs from the chip, that drops cost to about
$1/hive.  These chips have movement sensors in them.

We're just field testing a sentry system that can sit in a yard, and
'watch' hives on pallets that have these transmitter chips.  When the
pallet/hive moves, the chip speeds up its beep rate.  That activates a cell
phone, and calls you or send a message to a computer.   Yesterday, we
initiated and received a text message/alarm in 7 seconds.  That gives you a
bit of time to have someone intersect the truck being loaded with your bees.

Jerry

P.S.  The less expensive tags can provide a chain-of-custody record of your
honey, whether for organic honey, or protection against adulterated honey
(accidental, intentionallly poisoned).  The talk Heather Clay from Canada
gave at AHPA indicated that a contaminated LOT of honey found in Canada
could result in orders to destroy the affect Lot, and the preceeding and
succeeding lot.  If the LOT you have is a warehouse full of honey from a
season -- that's going to hurt.