From:
Wendy Stevens <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Wendy Stevens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Sep 1995 10:14:18 -0500
In message  <[log in to unmask]> Discussion of Bee
Biology writes:
> Hi all -
>
>    A month or so ago I posted some messages regarding the possibility that I
> was allergic to honey bee venom.  I had some serious local reactions, large
> swellings and itching.
>
>    I went to the doctor last week, had a blood test done as part of a routine
> checkup.  I also asked the doctor to have it checked for a possible allergy
> to bee venom.
>
>    The doctor called me up today and told me to find a new hobby!  Not good
> news.  I told him that I was not ready to give up.  I asked him what could be
> done - he said to be completely suited from head to toe, carry an epi-pen and
> Benadryl.  He said that one or two stings wouldn't kill me, but that a large
> number of them could.
>
>    I am going to an allergist for additional information and testing.  I am
> not sure how accurate the blood-allergy testing is.  Everyone I mention it to
> has never heard of it (well, none of them were doctors!).  I am going to find
> out if desensitization is possible.
>
>    Regarding desensitization, does it work for everyone?  Is it expensive?
>  Is there anywhere someone can point me to an article or other info about
> this process?
>
>    Thank you in advance for all answers, comments, suggestions, etc.  This is
> a beekeeper that is not ready to give up this great hobby!
>
> Laura Downey
> Jessup, Maryland

I am a beekeeper's wife, and I had anti-venom therapy or desensitization to
honey bee venom in 1982.  My symptoms were similar to Laura's--incredible
swelling, itching and also lots of nose drippiness and this throaty cough within
several minutes of being stung.  I have heard that people who are around bees
and handle bee venom on clothing (ie laundry) but get stung infrequently are
those most prone to develop allergic reactions to bee stings.

A local physician who specialized in such matters gave me a skin test, basically
injecting different concentrations of venom under the surface of my skin to
check the reaction.  The therapy consisted of 12 sessions one week apart where I
was given injections of purified bee venom in increasing intensity.  At that
time (remember, this was 1982) the initial testing was about $21 and the
subsequent sessions were $12 each.  I have no idea what you should multiply that
by to get today's rates.

Once the desensitation was completed, I was to return every 6 weeks for the rest
of my life to get a booster injection of venom.  I said nuts to that and had my
beekeeping husband get a bee from our hives and squeeze her gently on to my
upper arm to get my stings.  The upper arm is used so you can tourniquet a
little higher up if you start getting a reaction and things get out of control.

It was interesting to note that the physician I went to was paniced to hear that
I was planning to do my own "injections" at home.  He thought I should take a
bee up to Mayo Clinic 70 miles away so they could be responsible if things went
not so well.  I assured him that I would do the first sting on a weekday during
normal work hours so as not to inconvience the local hospital  should I need
assistance.  Obviously he didn't really think a person would actually get stung
after having this therapy.

I had my first sting 3 weeks after desensitation.  I still had some symptoms and
so shortened the time between stings to 10 days.  That worked perfectly and
within 2 years I worked up to 6 weeks between stings (sometimes 7 weeks if I
forget) with no reaction.  I do have to keep the stinger in my arm for at least
3 minutes to make sure that I get adequate venom.  And I can tell you that there
is a whopping difference in pain level between the venom from guard bees and
venom from foraging workers.

There was an article in one of the bee journals a couple of years ago on this
subject.  Maybe someone out there has the citation available.

Wendy Stevens