From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Jan 2008 07:30:40 -0500
Irwin Harlton wrote:
> The DNA of the swarm was compared to the
> DNA taken from Brazil at least 20 years earlier.The DNA was an exact
> match.It had not changed in that period of time.I found this hard to
> believe.
There is DNA and there is DNA. You can classify a species with DNA and
say it has not changed, but you are looking at that part of the DNA that
identifies that species. But within that species, you will not find
exact matches, otherwise you have just invalidated the criminal justice
system worldwide, where DNA is used to identify one individual from
another, and there are over 6 billion of us.

I agree with Peter, that we are beyond our depth in this area, since it
is a moving target. Not nearly as simple as was once thought.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine