From:
"Calkins, Rob" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Apr 1998 13:30:00 -0700
I have four hives.  I checked them this weekend and found the following:
*       One hive was strong and doing very well.  Lots of brood and bees
bring in pollen.
*       One hive was weaker and not as strong.  Some brood and some
pollen coming in.
*       One hive very week with only about five hundred bees but I did
find the queen and she is alive
*       One hive dead.

As this is my second year, I am learning and learning.  I made some
mistakes and am paying the price now.  I am wondering if I can take the
queen from the very week hive and use her for a split with the very
strong hive.  Both hives were very productive last year so I feel
confident in the genetic properties of the queens.  It was my fault that
they are having problems.
If I do make the split what would be the best method to do it.  It is
supposed to be around 65 on Sunday so I hope to do it then.  Thanks for
the help.

Rob Calkins