Date:
Thu, 28 Oct 2010 14:55:13 -0600
?> Today I received the moiture report from the buyer and in 98% of the
drums the moisture on top is above 18%. Which is the maximum moisture limit?
18%, 19% or 20%?

Depends on what you said it was.  I have sold honey at all those levels and
also 13.5%.  Price is usually adjusted for moisture content, but the packers
sell honey at 18.8% on the shelf and they blend to get what they want, and
(I suppose) throw in a little water if it is not right at the limit.

> But what surprised me most is that on 62% of the drums the moisture
> reported by the buyer is higher at 80 cm depth than at the top.  hummm. On
> 5% of the drums it was the same, and only in 33% it was lower.

I have seen beekeepers fill the bottom 2/3rds of drums with brood chamber
honey and after it sets, top up with white honey.  (That was long ago). I
don't know if they fooled anyone. A big packer at the ABF mentioned
receiving drums with stones, bricks or gravel in the bottom.  (Probably more
than a few hive tools, too).

> Only 50% of the honey is paid in advance. looks like I will have to fight
> a bit.

You might have to tell them to stop processing until you arrive and confirm
their findings or better still, say you have a friend/lawyer/whatever who is
only a few blocks away and can be over in a few minutes/hours...

I had this happen with a buyer who, after I figured out he had cheated me,
claimed that the authorities had insisted he dump two drums down the drain
due to high moisture.  Baloney!  That guy would pack and sell anything that
came in a drum and everyone knew that.  I told him that if it was his he
could do what he pleased, but if it was mine, I would expect to get it back
and use if for feed and that my son was a few blocks away with a truck for
the past few months.  One word and we would have claimed it.   He wound up
paying.

That was not the last trouble we had with him.  He owed us some drums and
promised to return our exact drums.  All we got after chasing them was some
dented, rusty drums, some with moss inside.