From:
Richard Yarnell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 5 Jun 1999 12:12:57 -0700
Some time ago we had a discussion about keeping epinephrin on hand.  The
cost of "Epipens" or another autoinjecting device was a concern to many.

The shelf life of epinephrin is 12-18 months.  Hopefully, the stuff won't
be used.  Cheap insurance, maybe.

However, for those who are comfortable or experienced giving IM
injections, 1mg ampules are available.  If paired with a syringe and hypo,
the insurance can be purchased for around $5US (compared to $35 for an
epi-pen.)  In the US, a prescription is required.  But if you are on good
terms with your Doctor and point out that emergency medical response in
remote apiaries is a problem, you should be able to get one.

In searching through the archives, I noted that there were references to
delivering epinephrin "sub-q."  According to my pharmacist, the material
should be delivered IM (the front of your thigh is handy).  In addition,
the epi dose should be considered "first aid" and prompt medical
supervision should be obtained.  Consult your doctor and pharmacist.